Thursday, 19 February 2015

Things That Have Helped Decrease My Anxiety

I have suffered from anxiety for about 5 years now however throughout those years my anxiety levels have varied quite a bit. For the past year and a half I have had minimal panic attacks and overall I have felt much calmer and more confident in my own skin which I am so happy about, I laugh a lot more and I feel genuinely like a happy person however I do get the occasional panic when I am in crowded trains or sometimes if I am walking alone on an almost empty street or even just randomly (why body why).

When I panic it does get scary sometimes even though I have had them for a long time its not really something you can get used to. When I panic I feel like I can't breathe, as if my throat is closing up and then because I am not getting enough oxygen my heart starts to beat faster and then my brain instantly starts ringing alarms like dude you are in trouble better panic more because that's definitely going to make matters better. I know it will eventually end but when your in the moment all of that knowledge goes out the window. Sometimes 'I have to tell myself you can breathe, you can breathe there its so much air around you, you can breathe' and then try and take deep breaths until I am okay but I can only do that before my brain takes over into panic mode or sometime after that when I feel like I have more control. After having them for so long I can identify when I am going to panic which is great because I can usually try and get myself out of the situation take deep breaths, have some water, chill for a bit then carry on however there are certain situations that I can't get out of quick enough or occasionally it comes so quickly that I don't have time to prepare. 

As I previously stated my anxiety has calmed down quite a bit during the past year and a half and these are a few things that I felt have helped:

Music:
Listening to music has helped me so much, it just calmed me down and allowed me to escape, and sometimes that is just what we need. Every time I listen to music it puts me in a place where thought me does all these incredible things almost like an alter ego but not, its very hard to describe but it almost as though I am in a movie and the song is my soundtrack and I am just doing general things like shopping or meeting up with friends and stuff but I am just so happy, bubbly and confident telling jokes and laughing which at the time I was far from that. This really affected me in real life because I was always thinking why can't I be like that, why can't I be the person I am in my dreams but after a while the bubbly person I was in my thoughts just became who I was in real life. The music genre I listen to is indie music, and the artists I love to listen to are Ben Howard, Daughter, Banks, Hozier, Ed Sheeran, Delilah, Jackson Dyer, Paper Kites just to name a few. I have a whole playlist dedicated to my calming music (click here)  I recommend having it on shuffle.

People
When you suffering from anxiety it is very easy to distance yourself from friends, family well everyone really and at the time you don't even notice your doing it. If you just want to be alone from time to time thats fine but when its all the time it makes the anxiety worse because you now have lonely thoughts in your head as well at the anxious ones. It is best to surround yourself with people who make you laugh and feel good because it one helps to distract yourself from feeling anxious but two you end up feeling better. I don't think I would have been half the person I am now without my hilarious friends and family to cheer me up, granted even though my mum is one of the funniest people I know and I love her to bits she still refuses to believe that I suffer from anxiety, she thinks I am being a 'drama queen'... for 5 years of my life? but that's okay you don't need peoples approval that you have anxiety nor do you have to tell anyone if you don't want to. Some of my closest friends don't even know, not because I don't trust them but its just not something you can casually bring up in conversation haha and I didn't feel like it was necessary to tell them but that's okay people don't need to know you have anxiety in order to help you, sometimes by just being there and making you laugh is enough :) Another thing that I did was turn to Youtube and blogs which really helped especially watching people like Beauty Crush and Zoella because they are just such positive, lovely, amazing people that inspired me especially Zoe at the time as she started blogging about her anxiety experience so that really gave me the confidence that it will end. Even though I feel much more like I should today my inspirations hasn't stopped, I am always finding amazing YouTubers who inspire me not just to be happy but to live a life worth living and so I couldn't not mention Its My Raye Raye even though I didn't find out about her until last year she is an amazing person who genuinely cares for her subscribers and people in general, she never has a frown she is so positive.

Water
There is never a day I go out of my house without a bottle of water. Water is great for a lot of things yes but when I am a little nervous or feel like I need to clear my head I just drink some water and I then all is fine. Yes this may be a placebo effect but it works for me.

Structure
Sometimes introducing some structure or routine into your life might help. I say might because it depends on how you do it. If you have too much of a ridged structure or timed schedule that you know you cannot stick too than it will only make matters worse but if you have a loose general structure to your life than your mood will generally feel less all over the place. Your structure could be your morning or night time routines (this is mine) or the layout of your room or if that's too much the layout of your wardrobe. Your whole life doesn't have to have a structure just one small thing that you know you can handle, I have found having that one thing that I know is in place and is just as it should be just eases my mind that everything is okay and I am in control (not in a creepy controlling way haha) because with anxiety and panic attacks for a brief period of time you lose that control so its reassuring that you haven't lost complete control of your life :) 

After introducing these things into my life I have felt much better in myself and now I have a whole different outtake on my life, making sure that I do things that make me feel happy and that I am passionate about because I wouldn't want to go back to that low point.


I hope this was helpful to some of you reading this whether you suffer from anxiety, know someone who does and don't know how to help or just was curious. I found this quite hard to write because I just didn't know where to start haha but its out now and I am glad I wrote it :) 
Thank you for listening (well reading) my story.

6 comments:

  1. I think posts like these are great because there are so many people out there that do have the same problems / or hangups. Especially anxiety! Great post, and thank you for addressing the subject in a more positive way and with advice!! :D

    www.luciaflorence.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, a post like this is what helped me so I thought I would the same :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this so much! Water really works for me too. I too think it's a placebo but if it works, I'm not complaining! Amazing post xx
    Louleecutie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, I totally love your blog and this post is so nice and inspiring! Keep up the great work, I'm a fan! :)

    xoxo ElsaBeautyTeen ♥

    http://omgyousassqueen.blogspot.co.at/♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much :D I am so happy that your inspired! it means so much to me

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS